As an alarm system owner, you have the responsibility of acting in a way that avoids false alarms, annoying and costly for you and for safety interveners. False alarms are mainly caused by security system owners, 77% of the time.
A few tips for reducing false alarms:
- Replace the back-up battery every 4 or 5 years;
- Have your alarm system inspected annually;
- Have a cancellation procedure set up with the alarm centre;
- Do not aim movement detectors towards an air vent, a window, a mirror, a fireplace, etc.;
- Have special movement detectors installed for your pets;
- Let all the users know how to disarm the system;
- Lock all doors and windows when you leave your residence;
- Place the control box in a reachable area and adjust the time period for disarming.